Eyemouth to Largo Bay, Sailing around Britain 2014

Date posted: 4 June 2014

We helped Martin ease Tui off the pontoon this morning, saying goodbye with promises of staying in touch, it’s been fun cruising in company.

Then the day turned into an endurance test spanning 34.7 nm! The weather forecast this morning stated there would be ripples, N/NW, 3 to 4 knots of wind with no mention of rain. We left Eyemouth at 9.30am, it was drizzling a little bit, as we headed out to sea, at 296’ heading for North Berwick. Well within the hour the sea state had changed considerably it was a manageable, moderate state, with a steady 4 knots of wind. At this stage we started discussing the sense of our decision to head for North Berwick, when it advises you in the almanac that entry should be avoided in prevailing winds. WE checked other small harbours along the way, each of them said the same.

By now we are two hours into the journey and the sea state is rough and we have a wind gale force 6, we have also reefed in both sails and are still moving along at 7 knots.  So we had to decide whether to turn back, or have a complete change of direction and head north, to find a sheltered bay, which is what we did. I found Largo Bay, which offered good shelterage in a N/NW.

Very rough sea

On route we passed Bass Rock, which should have been called gannets haven, as it is a well known breeding ground for them. All around us Gannets were flying past with seaweed in their mouths or small fish. We have also seen puffins, herring gulls, fulmar, razorbills, and guillemots.

Bass Rock, a volcanic plug in the sea

 

Gannet heaven, Bass Rock

It’s not all bad news today, Martin called us up to ask how we were faring, we explained that we had altered our plans and were running for shelter to Lorgo Bay. Martin thought this was an excellent idea, and low and behold half an hour after we had planted our anchor, Tui arrives with a very relieved looking Martin. The wind is still as strong in the bay, but the sea state is slight, on our anchors we have both turned into the wind and are clinging on.

Largo Bay

At anchor in Largo Bay 300m off the beach

There won’t be any rafting up this evening, we have both stuck out lots of chain and settled down for appears to be a long night in Largo Bay!

Comments are closed.