Eastbourne to Dover Sailing around Britain 2014

Date posted: 3 May 2014

Calm and sunny leaving the lock at Eastbourne



We sailed straight past Hastings, with fond memories of earlier holidays with our children

Day 14 on the water, Eastbourne to Dover 45.1nm we left at 10.15 am and arrived at 6.25 pm. Leaving Eastbourne in a very light ESE wind, we entered the lock with five other boats, there were a few tense moments and a few cross words, locks really aren’t Sean’s favourite access to a marina.


Quite busy in the lock as we all wait to leave Eastbourne

Initially we had thought we would go to Rye, but the wind and tidal streams were so favourable that we had a change of plan and headed off towards Dover. We passed Hastings on route and both reminisced about holidays spent at Hastings with our children.


Initially we had just the sails up and were making 2.8 knots, so we motor sailed for the whole day really, just using the sails to give us additional knot or so. As we reached Dungerness power station we hit some very heavy seas, once we had cleared the point we made a heading of 47’ straight for Dover and battled wind over tide the whole way, a very uncomfortable journey, especially with a bad back.

I made a grab grub bag this morning before leaving so at least we could snack on route, I took sea sickness tablets, Sean didn’t but wished that he had! About an hour from Dover I made a quick chicken curry, and left it to cook out slowly for the hour.

Dover, fort

Quite an impressive fort at Dover, this was our view as we approached.


Dover, western entrance

East and west entrance into Dover, we had to gain clearance before we could enter the western entrance because of commercial traffic

Dover as you can imagine is a busy commercial port but the marinas see calm and relatively quiet. Sean called up on channel 74 to enter the harbour and were directed to our berth, I was concentrating on entering the berth I thought Sean had directed me to, only to find it was the next finger pontoon over, so I reversed and tried again, in the end I drove out of the berthing area, turned round and went in first time, I sent up a small prayer of thanks as I had an audience, and someone waiting to help with our lines.


Never was a curry more welcome, it has to be said we were both rather weary and it was lovely to have a hot meal ready just to get on and eat as soon as we had tied up. I then trundled off to pay at Dover Marine Office, we are only here for one night, tomorrow we plan to look round the local museum and catch the tide to Ramsgate, as it’s only a short hop of 15nm, so we won’t need to leave until the afternoon.


Comments are closed.