At the source of the Neva River from Ladoga, some 24 km from St. Petersburg is an old military fortress. There truly unites all of Russian history.
Founded by the Novgorodians, which belonged to the Moscow principality, managed to be ruled by the Swedes, but then again returned to its origins (from 1702 it again belonged to Russia). What did not see the walls of this fortress, what kind of people they did not hide and did not “execute”.
Milestones in History
The fortress was founded by Yuri Danilovich (the grandson of Alexander Nevsky) on an island called Orekhovy in 1323. The island received its name due to the numerous thickets of hazel (hazel) throughout its territory. Continue reading